Contact Us
844.210.0025 844.210.0025

Domestic Violence Lawyer in Lake City

Answering your questions, answering your needs

According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, there were 454 reported domestic violence offenses in Columbia County in 2011, an increase of just under one percent from the previous year. The same year also saw combined total of 268 reports in Baker, Hamilton, Gilchrist, Suwanee and Union counties. As a domestic violence law firm in Lake City, the lawyers and staff at Robinson, Kenyon & Kendron, P.A. want you to know that if you are the victim of violence, you should not hesitate to call law enforcement. You can also seek immediate legal assistance for an injunction for protection by calling the office at 844.210.0025. If you have been unjustly charged with a domestic violence crime, you can also seek a defense. To schedule a consultation, contact a lawyer online or call 844.210.0025.

Whether you are a plaintiff or a defendant in a domestic violence matter, here are answers to some of the questions clients frequently ask:

Contact a Lake City domestic violence law firm for help — whether you are the victim or have been falsely accused


For a completely confidential consultation, please contact an attorney online or call 844.210.0025.

Is it domestic violence if I have never been physically abused, but always feel threatened?


The Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence defines domestic violence as “a pattern of controlling behavior — violence or threats or violence — that one person uses to establish power over an intimate partner in order to control that partner’s actions and activities.” In addition to physical abuse, domestic violence can take the form of emotional intimidation, stalking, and even isolating you from family and friends.

Back to top

What can I do to protect myself and my children?


If you are the victim of domestic violence or have good reason to believe that you and/or your children are in imminent danger of an act of domestic violence, you can seek a domestic violence injunction for protection — sometimes called a restraining order. An injunction for protection prevents your abuser from contacting you in any way in person, by mail or email, or by phone. To receive a permanent injunction, you will need to appear before the court, but you can receive a temporary injunction to ensure you are protected until your case can be reviewed by the court. An experienced Lake City family law attorney from Robinson, Kennon & Kendron, P.A. can help you and appear in court on your behalf.

Back to top


Can I get an injunction for protection against someone I am not married to?


Yes. A domestic violence injunction is designed to protect you from an abusive “family or household member,” which can include a spouse or former spouse, a blood relative, or a person with whom you have a child in common, whether you were married or not. You can also receive a repeat violence injunction to protect you from a person unrelated by blood or marriage, a dating violence injunction or a sexual violence injunction. Your lawyer can discuss your options with you.

Back to top

What do I do if I have been falsely accused of domestic violence?


Unfortunately, charges of domestic violence are often leveled in anger, to gain leverage in a divorce or even as a means to gain permanent U.S. residency status under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Making a false accusation is, at best, a misdemeanor. If you have been charged with domestic violence — even if the accusation is false — you will have a temporary injunction leveled against you and will not be able to return to your home for a minimum of 24 hours. The ramifications of an injunction are severe and may include loss of a job, an adverse child support order, the inability to purchase a firearm, loss of unsupervised visitation with your children, and a permanent criminal record entry. If you have been falsely accused, it is important that you contact an experienced domestic violence defense lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights.

Back to top